Saturday 12 October 2013

Happy Ten

 

My beautiful daughter recently turned 10 and I wanted to make her something really special for her to remember her double number day- we both love making so much and often spend our rainy days creating creatures and filling them with dried beans. During one of our recent making sessions we looked through a quilting book together and talked about how much we loved hand made quilts. I'd never made a quilt before though always wanted to, I instantly wanted to make one for my girl seeing how excited she was when we looked through the quilting book together. 

I was apprehensive about making one as I don't think my seeing skills are the best and the idea of following a pattern was a little frightening. So I decided I would just make a repete pattern of squares. 

It was important to me that the colours and patterns reflected my daughters eclectic tastes- I wanted it to be beautiful but also playful. I chose colours in shades of blues, pinks, purples- and offset this with orange and turquoise. I've put some pictures of the quilt below- I was really pleased with the result and my girl loved it equally as much which was perfect. Now I've made one- I think I'd like to try something more complex. 


This is the quilt before I layered the
wadding and sewed the back on. I used a quilting book called - Material obsessions- it's lovely and has great practical advice- if you are interested in quilting then I'd highly recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment