Monday 16 January 2012

Richter...How you stole my heart with colour.

This is a long over-due blog post about 'Panorama' The Gerhard Richter retrospective at the TATE- Anyhow, its been over a month since I visited the exhibition but the sense of colour and surfaces amongst many other things, has been a constantly on my mind. Undoubtedly one of the most important painters still alive and kicking, he stole my heart with colour. One painting in particular really pulled me in, In fact it made me feel so incredibly overwhelmed and emotional on more than one occasion- I did walk round 3 times to see it, possibly four... 


I had seen this painting in Paris, as a student, and it caught my eye then, It was always about the colour, and the soft diffusion and energy of the space- like a beautiful spring morning peering through the haze.  I wanted to share it. I also spent a long time looking at some smaller intimate graphite drawings. I loved them, there wasn't anything I disliked. I found I had to keep walking round and enquiring, so much so that I was almost late to meet friends for dinner...it was well worth staying and rushing off on the tube to meet them.




If you didn't get chance to see it, then you missed something special, if you did, wasn't it amazing- I'm just sorry I didn't get to go back again...

No comments:

Post a Comment